Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Writing Process

In the limited days since I have first even considered myself a writer, I have assumed myself to be a professional run-on writer and a word-maker-upper. In all seriousness, I prefer to think of myself as an honest and thoughtful writer who is not afraid to question authority, to provoke creative and out-of-the-box thinking, and to put my own ideas into the world.

Ruggieri, Meg. "Don't Choke: Avoiding Digital Word Vomit for your Brand"
3/11/2015 via Growthweaver. Public Domain License.


Overall, and especially recently, my writing process has consisted of three of the four proposed approaches. To say the least, I am a heavy planner. I am a heavy planner, however, in the sense that I spend more time than most developing an outline and an end goal, and editing my paper as I go. Ultimately, the best approach that describes my writing process is the sequential composer. I spend equal amounts planning and drafting, with less of an emphasis in revisions on a whole draft as opposed to revisions on paragraphs or chunks.

So far the sequential composer approach has seemed to work out the best for me. My typical process goes as follows:


  • I write my ideas out on paper, setting an end goal and writing a thesis simultaneously
  • I organize my ideas into a detailed outline
  • I finally shift my focus to delivery and mechanics as I write, small chunks at a time
On one hand, developing a plan sets me on the right track for the entire writing process. On the other hand, spending so much time on writing a detailed outline could be spent better if I were working on organizing my thoughts into a coherent draft and editing my first drafts later. 

I do not think it would be beneficial for me to entirely switch my approach. Although, less time could be spent to initial detail, so I could benefit from migrating away from the heavy reviser approach and try to be a more well-rounded sequential composer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment